Musicworks magazine is proud to offer internship positions that kick-start careers for talented, ambitious magazine or not-for-profit professionals.
The chosen candidates will be motivated, take great attention to detail, have a strong analytical ability, are adaptable to change, take initiative, are fluent in Microsoft Word and Excel, and demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume (in PDF) outlining how your skills and experience make you the right fit for our organization.
Please send your application to: [email protected]
These internships provide valuable on-the-job learning for creative, detail-oriented, self-motivated individuals that wish to gain experience in magazine publishing, arts administration, and the not-for-profit sector. These unpaid positions cultivate skills in every aspect of the field—a distinct advantage afforded by a small, non-profit arts magazine like ours—and are perfect for ambitious post-secondary students or working individuals looking to gain skills and experience. Our interns are mentored and guided by Musicworks staff and are an integral part of our high-achieving team.
From advertising and business administration to editing, circulation, marketing, outreach, and promotions, the opportunities for learning through our internships are vast.
- Editorial Administration »
- Promotions »
- Outreach »
- Fundraising »
- Website »
- Advertising »
- Circulation »
Internships are catered towards current projects at Musicworks and are tailored to the interests and goals of our interns. Components may include:
- Contact musicians, photographers, and other artists to source music scores, photographs, and audio files for use in Musicworks magazine and on our website.
- Contact musicians, photographers, and other artists to acquire permissions for use of materials.
- Open incoming recordings for potential review and categorize by genre and publication date.
- Assess unsolicited pitches.
- Work with Musicworks' copyeditor to input of copy changes.
- Fact-check content, proofread copy.
- Design and implement contests to engage Musicworks readers.
- Collaborate on readership surveys and assist in the analysis of results.
- Assist in the development of promotional advertising in print and online.
- Participate in the creation of monthly e-newsletters to subscribers, advertisers, libraries, and participants in the Musicworks in the Classroom program; tracking and reporting on open-rates.
- Assist in the administration of the Musicworks Sonic Geography and Electronic Music Composition Contest.
- Assist with donor outreach and in fundraising activities to cultivate stewardship.
- Collaborate with Musicworks management to source and generate web content
- Digitize and catalogue back issue content on musicworks.ca
- Assist in the conversion of magazine content for musicworks.ca
- Liaise with our Advertising Sales team to collect advertising submission materials and ensure they meet publication guidelines
- Write contracts for advertisers and collect completed contracts
- Read daily press releases and to compile contact lists of potential advertisers
- Assist with tri-annual mailing of magazine.